Besides sleeping, I also spent much of Saturday unpacking and getting organized in my new apartment. Saturday night was Men's Night Out and some of us from NTMC went to the Varney Motor Speedway about a mile down the road from Durham, which boasts "The fastest 1/4 mile track in Southern Ontario."**
The Varney Motor Speedway was the most fun I've had at a rural/redneck event since the Ionia Free Fair. The Trains were definitely the highlight of the night. Three cars chained together is considered a "Train." All three cas have drivers helping to steer, but only the lead car has an engine and only the last car has breaks. The middle car is just along for the ride. If you put four "Trains" on a track and have them "race" you can imagine the ensuing chaos. I was rooting for Train-Osaurus-Wrecks but unfortunately an unexpected (yeah, right) collision took him out of contention.
Monday Aug. 20th, we'll begin a full week of work detail in an attempt to help ensure the campus is in pristine condition as new 1st year students arrive and we all begin our training. The following Monday, the 28th, marks the beginning of my Culture and Language Acquisiton training, which I eagerly await. It will be a fast-paced and academicly intense year but the training I receive here will greatly assist me in the future as I prepare for the ministry of Tribal Church-Planting. --Jake
**Currently I have been unable to independently varify this claim

3 comments:
Yah Jake, Good to hear your back!
-Kane
Hey, Jake, I am highly amused by your writing style! Also, I had no idea that the Varney raceway was so, um, I was going to say terrific, or professional, but I think "dangerous and yet hilarious" is more the phrase I'm searching for. :)
Hey, I am jealous that y'all went to the Varney Speedway! Well, not really...How is phonetics going? I didn't like it much...we start grammar this monday (I am excited!). Anyways...this new class here is really loud in and out of class...i think I miss my Canadian class. later
Post a Comment